9.13.2010

Monday. Yes, we all have those Mondays.

I don't have free time anymore. I have no life. Homework ate my life.

But I'm learning discipline. I'm learning things. Important Things. Like what really began that great era of Modernity, its 3 causes and effects, the many (many, many) philosophies of modernity, such as those of Voltaire and Descartes (some men who were really crazy in the head, pretty much). I'm learning to dig deeper, to analyze, and to fully understand the classical literature of the 19th & 20th centuries. I'm being taught math and the rhetoric of Aristotle, of the necessary skills of writing and English and the sciences. I'm learning about music and of the beauty of the art of the Impressionists, which we are learning identify and to copy. (My favorite would have to be Monet, by the way.)

Why am I complaining? I have no right to. This education of mine is a privilege, not a duty, it's not even a right. I think of women of the past who weren't well educated, who didn't have this opportunity that I have. I have this great gift of a good education. So why am I dragging my feet? Why am I complaining? I'm reading Jane Austen for school, for crying out loud! Why on earth would I complain about that?

"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ." -Colossians 3:23-24

Whatever I do! Yes students, even school, even this busload of homework (that my mind is going back to. . .yet I'm sitting here typing away about it on Blogspot)! Even on Monday when I just don't feel up to jumping out of bed to scribble and scratch away on college-ruled notebook paper with my dull pencil. Even when I have to work at using my brain because sometimes it takes time to defrost after the weekend has done so well at freezing it solid. I am called to do it as unto the Lord. Students, we can go about doing this as unto HIM. Shouldn't we do so with a happy heart? A heart glad to serve Him? A heart so overwhelmed with the love and joy of Christ that doing even the hard tasks would become easy?

(And it might make things easier if I do something which requires thought over the weekend. I suppose pulling out some Sodoku or crossword puzzles wouldn't hurt. . .)

6 comments:

  1. Jeremiah MarcellinoSeptember 13, 2010

    you have ZERO lovely remarks it said...... so I feel compelled to write.... courtney this was very insightful and helpful and half those people you were talking about i didn't know...except for the philosophers... i will now try harder because i have such a great privilege ... hope that was what you were looking for ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debating whether to comment:
    *sigh*
    Amen!
    or
    Uh huh.
    Because I'm so glad to be out of school.
    And yes, complaining is wrong.
    And yes, we are so blessed!
    And Monet is cool. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. courtney.
    i really like this post.
    a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto ellie.

    wv - gleation (?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the reminder!
    Rejoice in the Lord always (Phil. 4:4)
    and offer the sacrifices of praise continually (Heb. 13:5). Those are commands.

    I love Monet too, but I can never decide if I like him or Van Gogh more. Right now I am feeling Monet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Save this post. Frame it. Pull it out in the future when it has been forgotten.
    Homeschool Moms love this sort of sentiment, hoping it's not short-lived!

    ReplyDelete

Just do it. It will make my day.