10.15.2009

Happy Get To Know Your Customers Day!

Some thoughts on this incredibly brilliant holiday:

Okay, seriously, how much rain can we possibly get? I've played one soccer game and the season started weeks ago. All my games have been canceled due to what? Go ahead, just guess. Angry parents? A referee shortage? No. RAIN.

But it does have its pluses. I haven't had to referee a single game yet. That's a big plus. But frisbee was canceled tonight. That's a definite minus.

Dr. Grant, his utterly brilliant lectures, and his enthralling "opportunities" (which is just his own way of saying, test) have continued to brighten my day - day after day, after day, after day...well, you get the point. He and his bow tie never cease to bring a smile to my face. He's taught me all the things I just couldn't live without knowing. Like, did you know that the Star Chamber was instituted in 1627 by Charles I in order to enforce his supposed divine rights? Or that the Presbyterian remonstrance was established in 1634? Or that Jenny Geddes (who knows how to spell her name...she was a milk maid for cryin' out loud!) hurled her milk stool at the archbishop and brought about the demise of both king and archbishop? Yeah, neither did I.

So I finished reading The Last of the Mohicans last night. Oh. My. Word. I still can't get over the ending. You know those great books with the amazingly happy ending that stick with you and just make you feel all warm and happy inside? Yeah, well this wasn't one of them. I don't mean to spoil the book for those of you who haven't read it yet, but, I mean really, what kind of author kills off the two main characters?! I mean did Cooper just one day tell his wife, "I'm gonna a write a book with great characters - better than the world has ever known. Everyone will love them...and then, right at the very end, I'm gonna kill 'em all! I'll show 'em who's boss! Yeah, that's just what I'll do." And that's just what he did. So, I've decided this is how I'm going to imagine the ending. This is how it should have been: Magua is running away with his captive, Cora, and just as he thinks he's won, Uncas jumps out from behind him, kills him, and tells Magua as he's dying, "[Insert something really clever here]". Then he sweeps Cora off her feet, tells her he loves her, and you know what, they live happily ever after! Dreams do come true [in books], I always knew it! Yay!

P.S. - This is a real holiday. I'm just sad I missed National Bring Your Teddy Bear To Work & School day yesterday. Greatest holiday idea EVER!

6 comments:

  1. I've got one better (sniffles). Today is my anniversary. One year ago today, I left America and headed toward the harvest fields of Africa, met my best friends, and came back eight days later. Ouch.
    I haven't read Last of the Mohicans, but my brother has and he told me everything about it. I've seen the highly inaccurate movie (1992) these changes having been made:
    Duncan wants to marry Cora (beep); Hawkeye falls in love with Cora; Uncas likes Alice (see anything wrong here?); vice versa; in end, Coronal Munroe die; Duncan die; Alice die; Magua kills Uncas (what?); Chingachook kills Magua; Hawkeye and Cora live happily ever after.
    Is that any better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes!! I meant Colonel, not Coronal. I'm mixing military and anatomy here; what was that about homeschooled kids always winning spelling bees?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhhh! The movie is incredibly horrible! Hawkeye and Cora? I did hear about that…but that’s just creepy. Creepy and totally disgusting. And Alice doesn’t deserve Uncas, he’s WAY too good for her. In a way it kinda makes me appreciate the book…a little. Just a little.

    Get it right, Jacob! You're giving us homeschoolED kids a bad name! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jacob: your best friends? Really? Should we all here in Mississippi be offended?

    Court: Yep. I totally feel your pain. It was one of those why-did-I-read-this-darn-book-all-the-way-through-for-that-kind-of-ending?

    ReplyDelete
  5. EXACTLY how I felt! But, Hugh, of course LOVED IT. (Certainly not because he just wanted to be different or controversial. Hugh's the last person on earth I'd ever expect to do such a thing!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie,
    Worry not. I meant that with the exception of a shortlist of about, oh ten. Then I think about for a while...well, more like twenty....Well, then there's....but do I like them more than my Ethiopia friends?.... Of course... (dig, dig, dig) There's absolutely no way that I can be reconciled in both directions. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Just do it. It will make my day.