10.12.2009

MC Invitational

It's all so wonderful; that sick nervous feeling you get in the pit of your stomach the morning of the race (or in some cases, the night before), the sinking feeling when you get to the meet/race and realize it's reality...it's really here, and you're really about to run this race, the loud ear-ringing gunshot that's almost as loud as the sound of your pounding heart the second your legs begin to move, the dry-mouth and aching lungs before you even reach the 1 mile mark, the gut sensation you get when you realize you're not even half-way through the race and you already want to keel over and die, the crushing weight you feel when you glance at the next hill knowing you'll have to find the energy somewhere to make it up that hill, the aching muscles, the hoarse (and harsh) screams of the angry coaches, the inaudible murmurs of the crowd as you pass by them, the huffing and puffing sound of your lungs when you reach the last stretch of the race, the way you have to clutch and grasp for support from anywhere or anyone when you finally cross the finish line and you can't feel your legs, the cold water rushing down your too-dry throat, and the pats on the back after it's all over. And the best part is, I get to do it all over again next week! Yippee. I'm trembling with excitement, honestly.

And, contrary to my strong convictions, I didn't die. God rules over all things, He's in control: before, after and, yes, even during the race.

Well, I don't understand how so many actually enjoy this...but I do feel great after it's all OVER! This weekend at the Mississippi College Invitational, the Spartans girls varsity team took 2nd place in the 1a-3a schools! Julie, Danielle, and Catherine all placed in the top 15!! We even got this awesome plaque.


...We enjoyed it while it lasted, since they're taking it back now and giving it to Corinth, who was 3rd. At least we got our picture with it and were recognized as 2nd. Ah well, life goes on.

And it's always neat when people ask you where you're from and what school you run for and you tell them you're homeschooled. Most of the time, the response is "Oh" and this blank stare and then they don't really say anything else. But then after the race we can say, "Yeah, you just got beat by a homeschooler." But we wouldn't, cause that would be mean. Just for future references, never underestimate homeschoolers. I mean, look at Tim Tebow (who, by the way, I just found out was homeschooled, thanks to Mrs. Mary Jo). I'm sure there are countless others as well...I just can't seem to think of any at the moment. Anyway...

GO SPARTANS!!!

1 comment:

  1. Courtney, you crack me up. I just wonder how good you would be if you actually decided it is not terribly torturous... You are pretty amazing for someone who doesn't enjoy it! If it makes you feel better, everyone feels like that before, during, and after a race, AND I hope that I am not a harsh coach screaming at you... I love you and you are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Just do it. It will make my day.