1.26.2010

Blessed.

It's that time of year again. Tax season, I mean. That means Mom's working at home preparing other people's taxes, dealing with the darling and dearly beloved to all to whom it is known, the IRS, and that also means we get the pleasure of having strange people come in and out of the house morning, noon, and night. Sounds delightful, no?

Well, one day Mom had a client with four little girls. These girls were just dying to look around and go upstairs. That's when Mom said they were welcome to explore. They were upstairs in no time. I gave them a tour and heard many simultaneous wow's. They were astonished by the striped walls, my pet fish, our 3 dogs, beds, mirrors, everything. And I was struck. Struck with my own ingratitude.

These four little girls live with their mother in a tiny apartment. Their father recently went to jail. They don't have many of the privileges we do.

I am so blessed. So very, very undeservedly blessed. I don't deserve a house with room enough for all of  us (plus more if they don't mind sleeping on the floor),  I don't deserve all these nice things, a warm bed, food enough for quite a while, a wonderful family, a Christ-centered church, and wonderful friends who are a daily encouragement for me. I don't have a right to own all these things. God has been so kind, and I certainly don't deserve His many kindnesses.

Psalm 103:8 &10 say, "The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love...He does not treat us as our sins deserve..."

2 comments:

  1. Awwww thats sad! About the children and Katie leaving! I will miss her terribly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Yet another example of things we take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Just do it. It will make my day.