4.22.2010

Counting the cost.

This was written by a young single mother and lover of Christ who is raising 14 children (all of them adopted) in Uganda while caring for and spreading the gospel to others. Go here.

"I wonder today if I had been one of the people listening to Jesus as He spoke in Luke 9 and 14, if Jesus would have convinced me to follow Him or if I would have walked away. I believe I would have really really wanted to say goodbye to my family. I wonder about “Christians” today. We wear Jesus on our T-shirts, we wear His cross around our neck and a bumper sticker with His name on it on our car. Have we just laid the foundation without being able to build the building? Does Jesus feel like I did when a woman I didn’t know told me she would love to do what I do but I knew that she never would? Do we claim the precious name of Jesus Christ without counting the cost? Without being willing to REALLY give it all? And does Jesus, in His infinite grace, look at us and say, “Aw, that’s nice,” but really with the fury that he flipped over the tables in the temple want to spit our lukewarm selves out of His mouth? ...The way we are living is not tolerable. How can we live in willful disobedience and claim to know Jesus Christ? I do not claim to have the answers. I do not claim to be doing it right. I do claim to believe that the words of Jesus are absolutely true and apply to me, right now today. I want to give EVERYTHING, no matter the cost. NO MATTER THE COST. Because I believe that nothing is sacrifice in light of eternity with Christ."

1 comment:

  1. I loved what she had to say ever since I was first introduced. So true- and frightening to our complacency. She's almost like an Amy Carmichael. That's a difficult accolade to acquire, though.

    ReplyDelete

Just do it. It will make my day.